On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 15:56, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I read it again. Even valid points about IBM pushing customers to Websphere are spun in such a was as to cast doubt about staying on the platform altogether.

It's written by HP's Marketing staff. Of course they would write it
that way. I always get chuckle when i read Microsoft's Anti-Linux
documents, because they're the same 80% bullshit 20% truth mix.

The spin almost conveys the idea that IBM is conspiring against its legacy customer base, or abandoning them.

Conspiring may be the wrong word, but there is little incentive for
IBM to deliver something new for customers that have always rejected
getting something new or upgrading their software.

The irony for me is that I believe that the IBM i native runtime and RPG programming language are the best tools for Web application development. I'm writing new applications every week with RPG.

I have my issues with RPG, but i'm a systems admins and windows
fanboy, so my opinion on that is invalid anyway.

But if something that makes sense for me is the fact that RPG really
is native to the platform, Java is as alien to the i as any other java
implementation (actually better than some) and there are some silly
tacked-on ideas like PHP and MySQL on the i, and most experienced i
programmers already have RPG skills, but few PHP/Java skills.

I understand there are cases where folks are dealing with bad database design, monolithic spagetti code, and other problems. But the least disruptive and probably best solution is to stick with RPG and the native environment, but change your database and coding practices, and gradually migrate from 5250 (where warranted) to new browser based interfaces.

Yep, but this is where the ISV bit comes into play. How many new ERP
software packages where launched on the i in the last few years? How
many existing ERP packages on the i have been migrated to a proper,
modern package (still on the i of course)?

The days where all business software was custom built are over.