James,

Oops, let's try that again!

I too have a UPS CL program, that monitors a dedicated message queue.
When
the power event took place, the only message was the CPF1816 Utility Power
failure message. The system then immediately powered down.

I took the time to do some experimenting with my model 400. I plugged the
UPS's signal cable to a breakout box, and was able to establish some
paramaters.

First, for those who are interested, the UPS signal interface consists of 4
contact pairs, one each for UPS Available, UPS On Battery, Bypass, and
Battery Low.

Interestingly, if each contact is closed seperately, the appropriate CPF
message is sent, but otherwise there is no effect.

UPS Available open to closed - CPI0962 Uninterruptible power supply (UPS)
now attached.
UPS Available closed to open - CPI0961 Uninterruptible power supply (UPS)
no longer attached

UPS On Battery open to closed - CPF1816 System utility power failed at
UPS On Battery closed to open - CPF1817 System utility power restored.

Bypass open to closed - CPI0974 UPS has been bypassed.
Bypass closed to open - CPI0975 UPS no longer bypassed.

Battery Low open to closed - CPI0964 Weak battery condition exists.
Battery Low closed to open - CPI0973 Weak battery condition no longer
exists.

The system will power itself down instantly if the following conditions are
met:

UPS Available
UPS On Battery
UPS Low Battery

Please note that the system had an active UPS monitor program running,
meaning QUPSDLYTIME=*NOMAX, QUPSMSGQ=a message queue, and that msgq was
allocated by the UPS monitor CLP.

Even more interesting was the fact that when UPS Available was off, and UPS
On Battery was set, and Low Battery was set, the system took no action
other
than to issue the CPI0964 !

I was able to reproduce the problem we had on the 515, on the mdl 400, by
setting Available, and Low Battery, and then setting On Battery. I
received the CPF1816, and the system powered down. I'm thinking either a
UPS misconfigure, or a bad adapter cable on the 515. If it's signalling
On
Battery and Low Battery, that would do it.

Our power is quite steady, so my management does not feel highly motivated
to burn time on diagnosing this one. It a development box in a software
publishing outfit. I'll try to con him into a call for IBM service, since
this box is on maintenence.

Thanks for the input!

Armand