Scott,

That conversation is definitely heard on a daily basis. And, it is important
for the iBigots in all of us. Your point on applications is the key, of
course.

My iWorld is all about applications. I was fortunate enough to spend time
working with hardware and configurations, but I know that applications are
key. And, I am engaged in making the iApplications into something modern and
with a strong and relevant user experience. When it all boils down to it,
the user should not know that an AS/400 is running their applications. Nor
should they care about IBM i, PHP, etc. They should only know that their
application allows them to perform ~their~ job efficiently and effectively.
Businesses should know that their investment in the application has a
qualifiable and measurable ROI.

In the world of midrange, we have wrapped our whole identity around an
AS/400. We have, in the past, told users that their 'job' is not finished
yet, we let them see 'work with submitted jobs', asked them to 'sign on to
the 400', etc. All of these things are IT and midrange specific, and no
other platform engages their users into this technical world. Why should
users know about 'spool files'? We have propagated a virtual world of AS/400
that really does not exist anywhere else. And boy, are we loyal. But only on
our own terms - individually.

When it comes to selling applications, platform should never matter. A
software vendor should be able to provide the platform without the user ever
knowing. This can be done, but for most AS400 software vendors, it is a
struggle to become platform agnostic in appearance, at least.

So now, the conversation about IBM i should be with software vendors. And
they should never be quite as confused, one would hope. Your a)-e) are all
the points that need to be sold to the people who are building the
applications.

On this forum, we are talking to the techies. It is they who can help change
the world. If they were clear about it, and all spake with one voice (haha),
then the confusion could be removed. Problem is, most of them are extremely
smart, and extremely iBigotted (yes, I wrote that) - but on their own terms.
And, it is obvious that some of them cannot be pushed.

The joy is, when someone takes the approach that you do. You are positive,
straight, and you reason the arguments well. This list has many subscribers
who are in that vein. When it comes down to complaining, and "I told you
so", etc. then we all lose. While I am definitely in-your-face, and have
been asked not to use the word "whining", it seems that few people push back
on the naysayers. Their noise contributes to the confusion, and the name
debate comes up one more time.

And yes, I would like IBM to help clear up the confusion. Personally, I
cannot see it happening the way midrange-L wants it to happen. And so, the
name confusion will remain rampant.

All I ask is, what will you choose to replace your AS/400/iSeries/System i
when your lease is up? What would you encourage another techie to buy? The
answer is, IBM i on Power Systems. And that, to me at least, is not
confusing.

Trevor