John

I think we are in more agreement than it may appear - we are probably agreeing violently!

I guess my comment comes out of other things said here - this is a VERY public forum - and that is a good thing. But that makes it, perhaps, less of a place to bring up problems that we can do nothing about here. As to feedback, I just got an email from the InfoCenter website people on a problem with the V6R1 version - and it was responsive ("V6R1 i5/OS IC feedback - Defect FW284019 (API search and finder setup)" was the subject). Again, IBM are the ones who can change things there - this group cannot do anything about those kinds of things.

I'm not suggesting that we/you do IBM's job of marketing. I do suggest that we can take problems/complaints directly to IBM instead of here - that will lessen the needlessly negative feeling that we might be projecting. I take a risk in saying this, but putting those problem reports here does little more than make ourselves feel good for a little while. Maybe!!!

So it is said, if you can't raise the bridge, lower the river. We can help a more positive view of our favorite system by eliminating the negative statements in forum where those statements can have no positive result.

Vern breaks out into song!
E-liiiiiiii -mi-nate the neg-a-tive, latch onnnnn to the af-fir-ma-tive!!
Jones, John (US) wrote:
Vern,

In all honesty I don't think feedback will help. This isn't one or two missed references in a footer on page 79. "Power systems" simply does not exist as a term in the i 6.1 Information Center. Actually IBM calls it the i5/OS Info Center, but I'll use the right term even if IBM won't. Neither does "i 6.1" or just "i". This is a huge glaring oversight. It is painfully obvious that absolutely no attempt was made on IBM's part to update their documentation to use the new naming for either the hardware or OS. They've missed the boat twice.

I've also done web site maintenance and I agree that updates are a pain. But that's hardly an excuse. If IBM wants to rebrand, then rebrand. Part of that process is updating documentation to reflect the new brand. IBM updated the i home page area but stopped short of updating everything else. There was a conscious decision to stop in there somewhere.

And regarding a 'unified front', please don't tell me to do IBM's job of marketing the platform. My employer is IBM's customer and we pay them a lot of money for products and services. It is most definitely not my job to earn IBM profits.

--
John A. Jones, CISSP
Sr. Analyst, Global Information Security