Charles...

If you want to correct the problem, simply convert your RPG module
into a NOMAIN one (assuming you have a prototype and procedure
interface this is very easy). Now add a C-language module PEP to your
program that calls the RPG procedure to do the work.

It's not the PEP. It's the UEP.

And why would you pick C as the language of choice? I mean, don't get me wrong, I have lots of experience in C, and it's a great language... but very, very, very few RPG programmers understand C. You expect your trigger to be maintained by RPG programmers, right?

So why not pick CL?? Every RPG programmer I know is already familiar with CL. Why not use CL as your UEP to allow recursion?! Wouldn't that be a lot easier?

Also, your C example includes stdio.h and stdlib.h. Why does it do that? I don't see you calling any of the prototypes from them....?