<snip>
Also, as my new LF is only currently used in my SQL request, there are no
references it. How should I prevent someone from cleaning up and removing
it ?
</snip>

So, what you are saying is that someone runs a Hawkeye or Pathfinder like
tool and see's no references to a file and then, based on that, deletes
it? So if I copy the item master (let's call it IIM) to a special copy
like IIM2008 and I have no "HLL" programs that refer to that then others
feel it is fair game to delete?

I have a table called BISMUTH. I have an index built over one field
(MYKEY) called BISMUTHA. Last used date on the member was 9/11/08. I do
this
select mykey from bismuth order by mykey
and the last used date on the index BISMUTHA is updated to today. Notice,
I didn't specify to use that index - sql just knew to do so.

I am running a little short on time to go looking through all the sql
statistics files to see if there's some info there.