John McKee wrote:
Those thoughts came to me. Sheer ago of the system components, particularly the
power supply, would make it unlikely it would work. I wasn't sure when the
system password "feature" was included in the platform. Due to the shape and
weight, probably would not be an effective boat anchor, either.

Yes, the electrolytic capacitors will dry out over time, but they should reform with a little conditioning. It might be safer to fire up the PSU by itself and check it out before exposing the other components.

The system password may have been there since the beginning, but it was not enforced until around V2R2 or V2R3. You can load the earlier releases on an expired system.

The next problem is tape. I'm finding my old tapes are unreadable. If your lucky enough to get the old system running, I'd do a fresh system backup (cleaned drive, new tapes).

A more practical use for a 9404 would be to gut it and use the cabinet for something else. Larry made a nice S/34 workbench and there was rumor of a S/34 keg cooler years ago.
http://frankeni.com/gallery-ldbs34.html

A couple of years ago, an IBM 1130 (1967 - 1972) was on eBay - Europe. It was
originally in Austria, but was purchased and delievered by ship to Anaheim,
California. I met the owner a couple of years ago. I can't >begin< to imagine
how hard it might be to get it working. The CPU is the size of an office desk. I can't recall how much he had to pay for "shipping". On his website, he showed
pictures of uncrating it. One weird picture had a lamp laying on top. No tape.
Surely had to have had something sticky holding it in place. As I recall, he
was more than a little curious as to how the crate was constructed, as some
nails appeared to have been driven from inside the crate.

He paid upwards of 7000 for it. When new, 40+ years ago, it listed for 40,000
dollars.

That 9204 has one advantage over the IBM 1130: doesn't take up as much floor
space. And, I have fond memories of the IBM 1130.

I'm partial to the Sperry Univac 90/30 and would like to have just the control panel. Panels from a System/3, 360, & 370 would make a nice collection.

Keith