If the error occurred only once [per member] for a given file, it would be most likely that the origin was from a decision being made based on pre-conversion information. No interface is supposed to exist for which that can transpire, because any feature of the OS that /looks/ at a database file member should be routed through the database; i.e. if that is the origin, then it is a defect. In that manner, the database should have converted the member before making the member attributes available to the code that is making the inquiry.

However there is still a possibility that the failure could remain for repeated requests because the open would never have been effected by the failing CPYFRMSTMF request. That is probable because the error seems to be getting diagnosed before data management ever gets involved to direct the open to the database; a trace would be required to be sure of that.

Thus if after any of DSPFD, OPNDBF, or DSPOBJD is used against the file.mbr which previously /saw/ the noted error for CPYTOSTMF, the request to the CPYFRMSTMF no longer exhibits the error, then that would indicate there was a conversion which was pending that has since been completed. If either the file or member [for sure the latter] was converted, the object change date would be updated; but of course using DSPOBJD would effect /alignment/ conversion [see MTU link below], and it would not show change date for the member, only for the *FILE.

3.54.3 "Conversion of database (*FILE) objects for optimal alignment
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.nsf/PSP%20Number%20View/SF98016

Regards, Chuck

MKirkpatrick wrote:

I was attempting to use CPYFRMSTMF to copy data into this file. I recreated this file and everything was resolved. I also recreated
two other files that were giving me problems and now they work. All
had creation dates in the 90's. Maybe that's a clue.

Bill Reger wrote:

What are you trying to do with file DC.LAB1 that causes this
CPDA033 message?

MKirkpatrick wrote:

Has anyone seen anything like this before. I just upgraded to
IBM i 6.1 from V5R4 and am getting a few of these:

Message CPDA033 "Could not open member DC.LAB1 in file DC.LAB1 in library QS36F." "The open of member DC.LAB1 in file DC.LAB1 in library QS36F failed. Reason code 3 indicates why the request
failed: 03 -- File capabilities will not allow open. The file's
capabilities conflict with the requested access."

This file was created w/o DDS back in 1995 and has never had any
issues.