When reading a NewsGroup message in Thunderbird, the following is the easiest and quickest way I could find to start a new message thread; mimicking the Reply function, composing a message to Newsgroup: [not as an email to To:]:

Ctrl-n /* New message */
Alt /* [activate] menu bar */
p /* Options */
q /* quote */

Following those above steps, I have generated a New message addressed to the group [per Ctrl-n], with quoted text generated just like with Ctrl-r [Options->Quote, quotes the message being viewed] but without any subject which I can then create for the _new_ message. Because it is a _new message_ the Sending of that message will of course, start a new message thread. HTH

Regards, Chuck

Roger Vicker, CCP wrote:

In Thunderbird you can right click in the "Normal Headers" on the
reply to address and there is an option "Compose Mail To". One more
click (and as a right button) <ed:> than "Reply", but it handles
everything. Fills in the address, allows new subject, breaks the
thread...

Joe Pluta wrote:
Adam Glauser wrote:

<<SNIP>>

This has been discussed before, and neither subject-only nor message-ID-only is perfect. Personally, I don't think that
starting a new thread by making a new message is too much of a
burden.

I think it's silly that we have to do it, is all. All of this technology, and you can't do a reply-to and change the subject.
Maybe it's not "too much" of a burden, but there's no reason it
should be a burden at all.
<<SNIP>>