Joe Pluta wrote:
Norm Dennis wrote:
As one that has started a new topic in this way, I was totally unaware I was
doing anything which created a problem.
And it shouldn't. The mailing software should be smart enough to use a change in subject to break the thread, or at least have that as an option. Obviously, it has to handle RE: but that's not rocket science.

Actually, I think there are quite a few considerations here. Have you ever seen the way some mail clients mangle really long subject lines? I can try to hunt down an example if you like. Not only that, but there's the RE: AW: RE: AW: problem, not to mention character set considerations.

This has been discussed before, and neither subject-only nor message-ID-only is perfect. Personally, I don't think that starting a new thread by making a new message is too much of a burden.

OTOH, it would be nice if there were an option on the email client to do the same thing. I'm surprised Thunderbird at least doesn't have this. Hmm...

I think it does by default: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Stop_threading_by_subject