Thanks Bryan.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of bryan dietz
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 4:06 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Host-Based Printer

From the IBM software knowledgebase

Look for your model to be sure but I think the following apply's to most
all
of them

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas1b44a2cf4ba778d838625682
50053649f

<snip>
The *Host-Based * column (formerly called the *Windows Only * column)
shows
if a specific printer is a host-based printer. The term *Windows Only *
*
printer * means that the printer was designed to be used only on a PC
running a version of Microsoft Windows and was also generally designed
to be
used in a home or small office environment rather than in a networking
environment. The term *host-based printer * expands this to refer to any
printer that relies on the processing power of the host computer to
generate
printable pages; for example, if the host computer is running one of the
versions of Microsoft Windows, Linux, or Macintosh operating system. The
term *Windows Only printer * is becoming somewhat obsolete because newer
printers that fit this category often come with printer software and
printer
drivers that allow them to be used on Apple Macintosh computers and PCs
running one or more versions of the Linux operating system. However, the
term *Windows Only printer * will often continue to be used to describe
host-based printers.

Because they rely on the processing power of the host computer,
host-based
printers do not need a powerful processor of their own and, therefore,
they
tend to be less expensive than conventional printers. However, because
they
share the computer's processor, they might be slow and might slow down
other
tasks running on the computer. Host-based printers typically use a
proprietary printer data stream rather than an industry-standard printer
data stream such as IBM Proprinter Data Stream (PPDS), Epson ESC/P2, HP
Printer Control Language (PCL), or Adobe PostScript (PS).

Because they use a proprietary printer data stream, they do not work
with
Host Print Transform (HPT) or a PC5250 Printer Definition Table (PDT)
file.
Because they will not work with HPT, they also will not work to print
*AFPDS
spooled files through the AFPDS-to-ASCII Transform code within HPT. The
only
way to get a host-based printer to print OS/400 or i5/OS spooled files
is to
attached it to a host computer and then use printer emulation software,
such
as a PC5250 printer session, to print the OS/400 or i5/OS spooled file
through the host-based printer driver.
</snip>

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Grizzly Malchow <