You certainly can use JDBC to get to other databases. This is an
alternative that eliminates the jvm necessity.

Using ARD would enable a programmer to access those databases without
having to have a lot of knowledge beyond current skillset. If you can
write a program with embedded SQL to go to an AS400 database, you could do
the same to MySQL (or whatever else was implemented), the CONNECT would
just name the appropriate relational database directory entry. In fact,
existing programs could be modified to go to an external database by
changing only the CONNECT. You use the same interface to talk to DB2 on
the mainframe, for instance, or another System i, or any other IBM
database.

Scott mentions limitations of ARD. Most limitations, like no scrollable
cursor, are things that are infrequently used.

ARD is an implementation of DRDA (Distributed Relational Database
Architecture) which no other database vendors support. Actually, Microsoft
in SQLServer has a DRDA connector that allows you to include System i
databases in the SQLServer list, but it doesn't work the other way around.

I think if we got a community together to implement this, IBM would work
with us on the limitations.

By the way, all those QZDASOINIT jobs you see on your machine are started
by DRDA.

In fact, we might choose to use JDBC to implement the ARD.