Yes there is -- at least with one assumption assumptions...

Assumption: You used a Windows user account (not a computer account) which
is what the .BAT file does

The only composition rules checked are the windows rules. This makes sense
when you understand Kerberos and that you are defining a kerberos service
principal to the Kerberos realm which is managed in AD. Naturally, the
passwords must meet the rules in the environment in which the userID/service
principal is defined. The entry in keytab files on remote systems must match
that entry.

When you want to change the password, change the password on the user
account first. If it is accepted, you know that the password meets the
rules. Then do the ktpass command. Of course, running ktpass again with the
new password (making sure to use "-mapop set") will fail also with some
message saying the password was not valid which tells you to try another
one.

Here are some tips for managing these passwords (once they are created):

- Always change the password on windows first (so you know if they
meet the windows password rules or not)
- I use the ktpass option to dump the keytab file (-dump arg I
believe), then ftp it to i5/OS in binary mode and overwrite the one in
/qibm/userdata/os400/networkauthentication/keytab/krb5.keytab (note that
path is from memory, could be wrong) rather than using the QSH keytab
commands
- The iNav Mgmt Central synchronize Network Authentication command, I
believe also updates the service principals password in AD.
- I use computer accounts rather than user accounts. It makes more
sense and there is no external password interface like there are for user
accounts. I do not believe the windows password composition rules are
applied to these passwords. For Windows clients participating in the domain,
MS automatically manages these passwords.
- I have a program that automates changing of passwords in i5/OS and
in Windows, and I just schedule it and forget it. Windows does not
automatically manage passwords for service principals representing "foreign"
computers (i.e. non-Windows clients). My company can provide this, as
is, for a one-time enterprise-wide charge.

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>