On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm not trying to turn this into an anti-Windows rant, so I"ll get off
the subject. But if you're going to spend so much time telling us how
horrible i5/OS is, then you ought to be able to at least be objective

I do not think that i5/OS is horrible. If i would, i would quit my job
here and stop working with it.

I, however do not think that i5/OS is perfect and that Windows sucks.
I've been using Vista on my laptop for about two years. The late betas
and then the RTM version. First machine was IBM ThinkPad R51. The
second one a Lenovo ThinkPad R60. Both work, though the performance is
worse than under XP. This is normal though - a new operating system
makes use of the hardware better than older systems.

At home, i have a noname Shuttle Barebone. Upgraded it to Vista x64.
Worked flawlessly.

The problem is driver support, but that's easily doable if you
purchase quality hardware from known vendors and don't want to use 3
year old legacy hardware.

Vista has a few very ugly problems i've experienced, but they're not
dealbreakers. I've also had those when i worked with a Linux Desktop
(2002-2004) and a Powerbook (2004-2005). XP, which i used from 2005 to
2006 had also some ugly problems.

Do you want to hear about them? I'd be happy to tell you about them if
you tell me what your problems with Vista are.

about your own personal choice. At least I've never heard of people
installing a new version of i5/OS and then yanking it to move back to a

IBM releases versions often and only offers gradual improvements -
mostly because they do not have to sell new versions of i5/OS - they
sell SWMA. Which is a very good thing. This means guaranteed income
for IBM, and the ability to release gradual improvements. This
improves stability of the platform. Essentially, you do not have to
add flashy features in order to sell your product (like Aero on
Vista), because you already sold it.

Microsoft is trying to move into the same subscription model. They're
late, though.