On 3/13/08, Tom Liotta <qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Lukas Beeler wrote:
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Tom Liotta wrote:
I can't quite agree with this. NotePad uses Windows native I/O
functions to do its reads/writes. I suspect that STRSST D/A/P is

You're confusing terms here. In the Windows world, the term "native
I/O" does not exist - it's called "I/O". Mainly because Windows lacks
the integrated database and multiple filesystem support that i5/OS
has. A direct mapping between i5/OS and Windows would be "I/O" vs.
"IFS Stream File I/O" (even that isn't entirely correct, because you
can access DB/2 through the IFS).

Joe has said much of what I'd say, so I'll leave most of that out.
Personally, I stepped into the System/38 after programming under the
Pick OS implementation on Microdata Reality systems. No need to list
all the different platforms (H-P, DEC, and others) I have experience
with.

After catching on to the S/38 and CPF and what IBM(Rochester) was
doing, my interest hasn't wandered. But that's not the same as never
looking elsewhere. Why do you think I was able to create my own SQL
Server database to test against so easily?

hey Tom, try to translate this recent post on a windows message board into
laymen's terms:

I am getting my head around the new MVC bits in the ASP.NET<http://asp.net/>
3.5 extensions. From the little research I did, I got the feeling that
SubSonic was the right DAL/codegen complement to MVC, not necessarily LINQ.
But now I am not so sure. Both Subsonic and LINQ for SQL "do the same
thing".

I read in a recent Redmond Developer issue that (a variant of) SubSonic was
going into a .NET update. MS has already hired Rob Conery. So…

- Why would MS have two "competing" DAL solutions?

- Why would **you** use SubSonic over LINQ to SQL or vice versa?

just joking. I think Lucas's larger point is that there is a lot of common
programming technologies like crystal reports, sequel server reporting
services, sql procedures, asp.net that as400 people could be benefiting
from. but they dont, because they dont know it and dont ever get around to
learning it, because being unaware of a large swath of non as400 programming
tools and methods, there is a large initial learning curve to using any of
it.

If Lucas is saying windows databases dont have native I/O, I thought SQL
Server was the only windows database which does not have a CLI component.
Oracle and MySQL do support CLI. CLI being my guess as to what native I/O
would be.

-Steve