On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> i5/OS and Windows are completely different platforms, built with a
> different history and goals. Windows does not have the native I/O that
> i5/OS has.
This is so untrue. The only reason Windows even exists as a business
platform is because of "native" I/O. I don't know how old you are,
Lukas, but you have to still recall something called dBase, right? If
it weren't for dBase, Windows (and DOS before it) would never have been
used for business applications. SQL Server is the Windows
implementation of SQL. But prior to that, all those thousands of
desktops used ISAM access.

Wait wait wait. Now we have a real mess. I'll try to explain to
explain my point of view:

i5/OS offers the following I/O methods:

Database access using SQL
Database access using RPG/etc. "Native I/O"
Stream file access using the IFS Root FS
etc.

Windows offers the following I/O methods:
Stream file access

Many application on Windows implement other methods: e.G

SQL Server implements a RDBMS on top of Stream file access
dBase implements ISAM access on top of Stream file access.

So, Windows uses a layer of abstraction that i5/OS doesn't have or expose.

Oh please, not the 10-character object thing again. Get over it. There
isn't a single business issue that can't be solved by a 10-character
object name. Yes, it's a limit, but I really don't want IBM "fixing" it

Sorry, i'm used to long object names. Especially the limitations on
userprofile names is daring. I'm used to signing on to systems with an
UPN style logon (l.beeler@xxxxxxxxxxx). On i5/OS, you have to use a
different user naming method. It works, but it isn't good.

> Open your eyes. Open your mind. Look at other platforms. See how they
> work. See how they solve problems.
You seem to have the bizarre notion that nobody on this list ever
programmed on anything else. I've programmed on dozens of different

The other half of my job is being a Windows admin. And i've seen many
people here displaying a distinct lack of knowledge when it comes to
Windows - i do not mean you specifically, just random posts i picked
up and remembered.

need for Vista. Unfortunately, with Vista Microsoft has pretty well
proven that they can't actually write an operating system without
shooting themselves in both feet.

cue pointless Vista bashing without a single real argument.

Vista bashing - all the cool kids are doing it.

> Remember, different doesn't mean worse.
Heed your own words, and open your own eyes, Lukas. There is nothing in

I think i'm doing this. I'm using Windows, i5/OS and Linux for
business purposes. From time to time i also work with a Mac.

SQL that DB2 for i5/OS can't do. Yet there is plenty in DB2 for the i
that SQL cannot do or at least not as well. ISAM isn't bad, it's just

I never said that i5/OS native I/O is a bad thing. But often people
who still cling to "we use native I/O for everything" often also
forget about other very important features like commitment control,
constraints, journalling, etc. But i think we already had that
discussion :)