On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 8:39 AM, BirgittaHauser <Hauser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
May be other DBAs fell being redundant on the iSeries, because the system
makes a lot of work for them.

i5/OS takes care of a lot of little details, but a DBA hates dealing
with those details anyway.

The real, important work is still there, but many shops running i5/OS
are still stuck in their AS/400 mindset:

* No transactions
* No referantial integrity
* No Journalling
* No proper DB backup procedures (SWA, Journal Backups)
* No proper DB API using stored procedures (e.G. RLA directly from the
App or SQL directly from the App)
* No SQL Indexes

With many i5/OS databases stuck in the early eighties, there is not
much need for a database administrator.

Of course, this is alone the fault of these shops, and not i5/OS, IBM
or anyone else. Of course i could wildly construct an argument that
IBM's excellent backward compatibility is at fault here, but i'm not
going to do this.

There is one important RDBMS capability that i found missing in i5/OS
DB2, and that was full text search. It is included in V6R1, though.