On 2/27/08, Pete Massiello <pmassiello-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hard to discuss this, as I know the answers but I can't remember what has
been announced and what is under non-disclosure. So, I will go the safe
route. First, if you are looking at a JS22 you are talking V6R1 for an
OS,
which will be out in a few weeks. I would assume your i525 would be
running
V5R4M5. Who did your new i525 Config? Why would you buy 0595 towers, now?
Why don't you look at 5786 (Exp-24) with 5790 draws? Why are you getting
6
IOPs. You might need 2. Why aren't you using IOPless IOAs? Just from the
limited config you wrote below, I would have done an entirely different
configuration using newer hardware (that's been on the market for a
while).
Perhaps you are buying used hardware which would explain the older
features
that are included in your 525. Why would you use 46 35GB drives inside
your
i5, but in a SAN you would use 16 146GB drives. Why not go with 23 70GB
drives inside the i5?

the i525 config I listed was one of 3. a new 525, a new 520 and an upgrade
from a 520 with 1200 CPW to 525 with 3800 CPW. The i525 was the highest
price, with the upgrade being the lowest at $100K. The upgrade is the
obvious choice, so maybe the other configs are just there to take up
space. My suggestion to the DP manager was to consider the JS22. The
drawback of the JS22 I see is that the systems might not work as advertised.
at least in the initial shipments. That, and the JS22 might not run as well
as the 520 and 525. But I dont see how a Power 5+ system can outperform one
with a Power 6.

thanks,

Pete Massiello