Lukas Beeler wrote:

I heavily disagree with you.
. . .
Not so with Microsoft. As a normal "Microsoft Partner", we had access
to Windows Vista Betas/RCs for several years leading up to the
release.

Have you by any chance been around long enough to remember something called Win32S?

It was something that ran on top of WinDoze 3, so that developers could learn how to write to 32-bit APIs.

In the process, wasting their time writing to dead-end APIs. We wasted close to a man-year futzing around with a Win32S version of SmallTalk.

We survived. My understanding is that lots of folks who wasted their time with Win32S didn't.

Before MicroSloth inflicted WinDoze 95 on the world, WordPerfect was the best selling word processor, and Lotus and Quattro were slugging it out over who was to be the best selling spreadsheet. Only a few years later, WordPerfect Corporation was bankrupt and being taken over by Corel (probably the only bloatware-monger worse than Microsloth), Lotus and Borland weren't much better off (and now I hear Borland sold Quattro to Corel?!?), and Microsloth Word and Excel had displaced them as the industry standards.

Coincidence? I think not.

ON THE OTHER HAND, with IBM:

According to everything I've heard or read, with V6, all you really need is (1) hack-free code, and (2) observable (or encapsulated under V5) *PGMs.