On Feb 8, 2008 8:02 PM, Elvis Budimlic
<ebudimlic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
... We're an IBM Premier Level BP. ...
... Even if it we could have access to prerelease Versions of V6R1,...
Have you tried Virtual Loaner program? You could get access to an LPAR for
testing (I haven't asked them for V6R1, but I don't see why they couldn't
provide it).

The Virtual Loaner Program does not provide access to V6R1, i just
verified that.

We bought an IBM System x3250 for this purpose. Runs well.
So it's ok to buy a PC for testing but not a System i?

x3250: 2000 CHF
Model 515: 20000 CHF

Is testing on System i less of a breeze?

Well, it isn't possible to procure hardware and OS, so testing is impossible.

In my experience, IBM makes every possible effort not to break backward
compatibility, result being vendor software that most of the time doesn't
require any changes to run on new release.

Yeah well, that's why we're still stuck with 10char object names. But
of course this has it's advantages.

I know several vendors that have software that broke on V5R3 and V5R4.
Not ours though.

I work for a vendor in US and while I can see that European vendor would
have more challenges, I don't think they're insurmountable.

At least we get to see more tits on TV than you ;)

Perhaps you should charge more for your System i software? I mean, if it
costs more to develop and test, why not? Seems reasonable to me, of course
if market can bear it.

Unfortunately, due to IBM's outrageous System i prices, we had to
lower our licensing prices significantly in order to stay competitive
with offering based on any other platforms (Windows, AIX, Linux, etc.)