From: Dave Odom

As your article points out, you have STDIN and the same for out, but I
found I needed to go further. I needed to read and write to multiple
files and found that by using SQL I could talk to many more tables than
the STDIN would allow. Don't get me wrong, STDIN and out are a good
place to start.

I usually only use STDIN for input parameters. I, too, like SQL; I think
the article did a pretty good job of using SQL, actually. First a DSPFD to
an output file, then SQL to access the file, and finally a call to the
appropriate compile command, and voila, a poor man's mass compile procedure!

Have you ever tried to address a formatted screen, either 5250 or GUI from
REXX? That sort of function is built in to VM and MVS REXX with calls to
XEDIT screens. But I have not found that in the i5 version.

Nope, never got around to that, but as Tom points out you could probably use
UIM. Not that I'd wish that on anyone <grin>. But I don't much like
SNDRCVF in CL either. If I need a display file, I usually call an RPG
program. For me it's a better tool for that particular job.

Joe