No. A Cume (Group, etc.) is specific to a given release. You cannot apply PTF's for, say, v5r4 to v5r3 because (a) it wouldn't make sense, and (b) prerequisites may not (probably would not) exist. Nor could you go the other way (v5r3 -> v5r4) for the same reasons, plus it might "fix" something that was fixed in the v5r4 release.

I can appreciate how confusing this whole PTF process is for a programmer trying to be a sys admin. I had the same problem (actually probably worse 'cause that was before I found out about Midrange -thanks, Jon). Some sys admins, like Rob and Paul, have a whole plethora of methods depending upon the situation. Guys like you and me are probably best served by finding a method that works for us and with which we are comfortable. But be ready to try new things (e.g., image catalogues).

Oh, and you're gonna love release upgrades, Aaron. I nearly had a heart attack when my boss told me (about 4 years ago) that I had to do one!

By the way, my C7282 cume upgrade finished a few minutes ago. I'm into the post-cume Save *All as I type this. How's yours coming?

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Aaron Bartell wrote:
V5R3. Would it install the portions of the CUME that _did_ apply?

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com