Hi Rob/Aaron

There are two passwords. One is the Access Password which allows you to use
the connection and also (perhaps) to do configuration things. This normally
appears the very first time you use the connection, after that it appears to
get cached somewhere and re-appears at what appear to be random (?)
intervals. I'm sure someone can give a better explanation of how this works
and why it is necessary.

The SST password is prompted once the connection is permitted by the access
password. The password that ought to be used as I understand it is pretty
much always the 11111111 profile/password combo which is pretty much
designed simply to allow a connection. You can't do much else with it and
the V5R4 upgrade book tells you that if it is not all 1's and/or you have
changed it your upgrade may not work correctly. (For the record the 2 that I
have done with LAN Console didn't work correctly anyway)

In LAN Console there is also a device password that is entered into the
configuration.

The easiest thing for Aaron to do is simply delete the existing
configuration and create a new one, after determining definitely how he is
connected. If he's on 5* gear it's my guess it's more likely to be a LAN
Console connection, but it's pretty simple to work out - just look at the
cable connecting the console to the box.

The biggest challenge if it is a LAN Console connection is establishing what
the device names and IP Addresses used for the console definition are. There
are quite a few 65+21 functions to help with resetting these to the defaults
but it is a pain.

Hope this helps
Evan Harris