Aaron B. wrote:
If I had to make a guess I would say that the services rendered
on the System i5 will be growing A LOT in the next 5 years.
Mostly because of Websphere reasons, and then eventually it will
migrate off of the
System i5.

Well, anything that replaces 5250 terminals and applications is going to require more services, but Web technologies in general seem to be reversing the trend to migrate workloads off the platform. If you think the migration of applications is significant now, just turn back the clock 10 years or so to when client-server was having it's heyday. Today, a lot of PC workloads are migrating back to servers.

On the other hand, you seem to be referring to the fact that Websphere is platform agnostic and that Websphere workloads tend to be deployed to Linux and Windows servers. While that appears to be true, that also appears to be the thing that's putting pressure on IBM to drop the price and increase the performance of the I5, and at some point an equilibrium will be reached.

A more positive way of looking at IBM's server homogenization strategy and IBM's investment in distributed architectures and developer tools that copycat Microsoft's lead, is that it opens up opportunities for 3rd party developers and ISV's to focus on native tools and applications that offer distinct advantages in terms of performance, reliability, and productivity.

EGL for example is a Lego type technology that's easy to use, and great to play with, but everything you build with it will look like your last Lego project, which is kind of boring. However if you've taken the time to think and learn outside the box, you'll discover that you can do some really great and distinctive things with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and RPG. And when users compare your applications with the ones built from Legos (so to speak), you'll find that people are more interested in yours.

Don't get discouraged.

Nathan.