From: midrange-l-bounces+albartell=gmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces+albartell=gmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Crump, Mike
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 12:33 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: IBM not investing in i5/OS was: iSociety

I had a couple of thoughts on this.

One, IBM is investing in i5/OS. Fairly substantial investments. It
might not be enough or in the areas that certain posters want but it's
there. To date the majority of system requirements are generated by two
'user groups' of the system. That does not include COMMON at this time.
The needs of these groups most likely does not reflect the needs of
Steve, Aaron, and others on this list. In my case I am much more
concerned about the lack of investment that IBM's software group is
making to the platform. As far as I'm concerned they are the enemy.

Two, I listen to these have-to-have functions and I don't quite see the
demand. Not saying they are wrong but they aren't issues that are
causing us problems with the system. Which means that they might not be
for others. Sitting here on the sidelines and reading these posts about
what i5/OS has to have in order to compete is a bit frustrating. If
they are indeed necessary has the poster or the community not made the
effort to communicate these needs?

Both of these points seem to indicate that there are issues with user
requirements. Communicating, creating consensus, generating valid
business case, etc.

Michael Crump

Manager, Computing Services
Saint-Gobain Containers, Inc.
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN 47302
765.741.7696
765.741.7012 f

Dare to Slack
When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the
effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.
This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views
or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Saint-Gobain. If it did, it would be
folded, mutilated, watered down, politically corrected, and would show
up a week later if at all. If you are not the intended recipient of
this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them,
nor must you copy or show them to anyone.
error.