Here's a point that just struck me...

The vast majority of technical people who work/have worked in the i5/OS
oriented arena have also had a good deal of experience with Windows
oriented hardware and applications. They have seen both environments on
the front lines and in the trenches. When this group of techs (admins,
programmers, managers, execs, consultants, etc.) exalt one of the two
technologies over the other... they do so from experience with both of the
technologies that are being compared.

I have not seen the same depth of knowledge at all from many (or MOST) of
those who take shots at the i5/OS ecosystem. It is an easy target for some
reason, but in my experience most of the criticisms i've heard/read have
been without substantial grounds, and more to my point, from technologists
who have very little to no experience in the i5/OS arena. To me, that's
pretty misleading (and in many cases self-serving).

Steve - I do not know your background, so please do not take this as
directed at you... but I have seen this dichotomy ALOT!

Nathan Andelin
<nandelin@xxxxxxx
om> To
Sent by: Midrange Systems Technical
midrange-l-bounce Discussion
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

11/15/2007 11:38 Subject
AM Re: IBM not investing in i5/OS was:
iSociety

Please respond to
Midrange Systems
Technical
Discussion
<midrange-l@midra
nge.com>

Lukas, your dispatches from the front lines of computing are great
reading. Here is a video that illustrates in a small way how MSFT
is cleaning IBM's clock in the world of software applications...

I hate it when Steve Richter snags me in his net of non-stop complaints
about IBM and their handling of the System i. It seems that about 90% of
his posts are offensive hyperbole mixed with bad advise, and why would
dispatches of IBM failing on the front lines be great reading to him?

Nevertheless I took the bait, and listened to Microsoft's Channel 9
interview with Siemen's smug-faced Scott Carney. I just couldn't work
under him - getting all his developers together each month for a dog and
pony show of the new tricks they've mastered via .Net.

The kicker for me was when Scott finally admitted some of the challenges of
keeping "cloud-computing" up and running 24 X 7, an how difficult debugging
in a "cloud" was.

Nathan M. Andelin