And before some Windows apologist or *nix weenie demands that I hack
into
their machine, you're missing the point: your machines have ALREADY been
hacked.
Uhmmm....so has yours. Just because you don't know about any doesn't mean
there aren't any.

Meanwhile there has NEVER been a documented case of any sort
of buffer overrun, virus, or indeed anything else on a native i5/OS
system
(reaching back to the OS/400 and even CPF days as far as I know).
Take out the word "documented" from the last sentence and I know for a
fact this statement is false.

Thanks.

Patrick Botz
IBM STG Lab Services Security Practice
botz@xxxxxxxxxx
work: 507 253 0917 mobile: 507 250 5644
http://www.ibm.com/systems/services/labservices

midrange-l-bounces+botz=us.ibm.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 10/23/2007
02:43:48 PM:

From: Joe Pluta

This challenge is outstanding forever. I guarantee that I will never
pay
off on it. And until then, let's drop the nonsense that Windows
security
is equivalent to i5/OS security. That's simply rubbish.

And before some Windows apologist or *nix weenie demands that I hack
into
their machine, you're missing the point: your machines have ALREADY been
hacked. The exploits are numerous and documented and more continue to
come
down the pike. Meanwhile there has NEVER been a documented case of any
sort
of buffer overrun, virus, or indeed anything else on a native i5/OS
system
(reaching back to the OS/400 and even CPF days as far as I know).

So while the lack of proof is not proof of lack, I think the case for
i5/OS
is substantial. And if you don't, well, then, there isn't much going to
convince you now, is there?

Joe

P.S. Windows viruses on the IFS count only as Windows viruses. If you
don't
understand why that is, this isn't going to be a very fruitful
discussion
anyway <grin>.

list