First, why are you taking this personally? You complain that it is IBM'S
fault, I point out reasons why not, and you get defensive and provide a
battery of poor-me-I-can't-do-it excuses. This is why our industry is
getting nowhere - we are willing to blame IBM, but not DO anything about
Second, the reason why you don't have 40 hours to devote to this project
that the business for which you are working has not deemed it a priority
their IT budget. Their priority is, apparently, spending your time on
forever fixing things. If you watch how IT works, if you only spend time
effort on maintenance, then you will only ever spend time and money on
And, many of us in this industry are faced with that prospect in our jobs
every day. And like you, they are not calling the shots. But, instead of
using that as a means to do NOTHING, and justify the whining, why don't
DO something about it?
Let me suggest some ideas. And no, these are not personally aimed at you.
1. Stop whining about GUI on public forums. That debate is over, and the
more we complain about "no native GUI", the more our credibility suffers.
2. Start researching - find the time to at least educate ourselves about
problem and its resolution. You will find that the System i is more than a
3. Sell the System i to your business as a modern and GUI-enabled tool.
about what it CAN do, and stop arguing that it canNOT do things that it
Thank the company for providing you with the best server and OS on the
4. Find the time inside your maintenance schedule to GUIfy something
on a System i. Use that as a way to market to the users that it is a
server and OS.
5. Determine the business benefits of modernizing applications to GUI.
that to the business OWNERS, and have them invest in IT to perform this.
6. Ignore the "boss" who tells you to keep using SEU+PDM and risk your job
on becoming more productive at coding - leading to reduced maintenance. If
you lose your job, complain here - or apply to the places that complain
all the time that there are no resources available.
7. Don't give excuses for continuing to do NOTHING. Collectively, we need
get off our whiney butts and being proactive. If all we ever do is
and blame, we will have no time to do the things we can do that would
prevent the complaining in the first place.
8. Get over your inability to change. Push your comfort zone into a new
world of a System i that is the best business server on the planet.
9. Stop finding blame. It does not help us move forward.
There are dozens of things you can do - make up your own! The world does
seem to change on the people who talk the loudest, but the people who are
willing to ACT.