Hmmmm... I did not know we were made aware of that. That would indeed be a problem, and would be visible with the noted symptom of having all unreadable text on the Windows system; for the text data being EBCDIC on an ASCII system that seems unable to deal with that.
Revisiting some of the earlier messages in this saga, the file named as FROMFILE(EIQRY01/ITEMMASTER) is apparently an output file from a query. Thus there is probably no DDS.
If the fields are improperly tagged, and the coded character set identifier for the file is 65535, then there is a function [intended only for /assignment/ of CCSID to files from pre-v2r1m1 to that release or later, to set a non-hex ccsid] provided by the request to CHGPF (EIQRY01/ITEMMASTER) CCSID(37) -- in this case, to assign the fields the specified CCSID=37. Be warned, that the change to the CCSID for the fields is done irrespective of truth [about what the data really is], and additionally /incorrectly/ impacts the CCSID of all text attributes of the file [column headings, text, editing, etc.].
Of course the proper correction options are to either create a properly tagged file for the query to insert into or to change/correct the original file(s) [from which the query gets those field definitions] to have properly tagged fields.

FWiW Also from the earliest messages, the PC application seems never to have been clarified. The copying to text from database may be an extra copy of data for little cause, if the application has the option to access the file directly by ODBC; e.g. as do excel or word.

Regards, Chuck