If you are interested in Subversion, I'd strongly suggest taking a
look at
"Version Control with Subversion", which is freely available from
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/index.html.

The "nightly" version now references 1.5 of SVN, where the current
"production" copy of SVN is still 1.4.5, so just watch out for things
that may not (yet) be valid. You may want to reference
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ for the different versions of the book.
Also, speaking of versions, be _very_ careful if you want to actually
buy the hard-copy of the book, the hardcopy book is based on a much
older version of SVN, 1.2 IIRC, so stick w/the online copies if you can.
Of course, the hardcopy is still valid for a general
overview/understanding of SVN.

Also, if you look at SVN the hardest thing to get used to compared to a
more "traditional" source management process is the lack of check-out.
SVN (and CVS before it) are based on the check-in/merge process, not the
lock-and-prevent-change process.

-Walden