From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Roy Luce
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2007 8:50 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: iSeries connectivity

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. We now have triggers and remote
journaling to consider when addressing this data warehouse challenge.
These
solutions will be included in any discussions regarding the data
warehouse
and access to remote data, along with the
logical-files-over-remote-files
approach.

But I still need a little help on the remote file approach. Have we
been
given the correct procedure to setup and execute the remote file access?

Setup
1. Create a logical file on the host server for the target files needed
on
the 2 remote systems.
2. Reference the logicals' physical files by their server's ip address,

their resident library and file name.

Run time.
1. Establish TCP/IP connections from the server hosting the data
warehouse
to the other two machines. (Incidentally the ability to establish
TCP/IP

connections has already been proven through the heavy use of FTP)
2. run the application, accessing the remote data via the appropriate
logical file.
3. Close the TCP/IP connection.