Hi, Steve:

Perhaps you could try this approach ...

PGM PARM(&ADR) DCL VAR(&ADR) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(15) DCL VAR(&RCV) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(1024) DCL VAR(&LEN) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(4) VALUE(X'00000400')
DCL VAR(&ERR) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(96) VALUE(X'00000060')
DCL VAR(&DEV) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10) DCL VAR(&FMT) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(8) VALUE('DEVD0600') DCL VAR(&ZERO) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(4) VALUE(X'00000000')
RTVJOBA JOB(&DEV) CALL PGM(QSYS/QDCRDEVD) PARM(&RCV &LEN &FMT &DEV &ERR) IF (%SST(&ERR 5 4) *NE &ZERO) + CHGVAR VAR(&ADR) VALUE(%SST(&ERR 8 7)) ELSE + CHGVAR VAR(&ADR) VALUE(%SST(&RCV 878 15)) RETURN ENDPGM
Call this little CL program with a 15 character field as the single parameter. If the value returned in the 15 character result is all blanks, the device has no IP address, and so is likely a twinax device (or some other session connected via SNA, etc.). If errors are detected by the API, the CPF error message ID is returned. (Check the first 3 characters for e.g. "CPF".)

Regards,

Mark S. Waterbury

> Steve Moland wrote:
I don't have any dumb terminals on my 170 so I can't test something.

I would assume if I issue a STRPCO command from a device which is a dumb that it will fail.

If so, what CPFxxxx or XXXxxxx message number comes up.

also

Is there a way to programmatically know that the device being is a dumb terminal ?

Steve Moland
Access Paths Inc
12 Parmenter Rd Unit C4
Londonderry NH 03053