I take it your "exit points" are not registered with WRKREGINF?

No they aren't and to be honest we didn't think about them as an integral
part of the AS400 environment. That was not by choice, it's that we were
being provincial and thought of providing them as part of the right thing to
do to make the application really usable and "usable" meant "tweakable".
The registering concept never hovered long enough on our radar screens. We
didn't dismiss it really, it was nore that we didn't notice it.

Steve

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Steve Moland" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
07/26/2007 12:09 PM
Please respond to
Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: Exit point programs

That was a concern when we designed in the exit point programs in our
software and it is a good thing to have on a checklist regardless.

The exit point programs in our stuff are called by our code and must be
there for anything to run. Their existance is not optional. In fact they
are
all called and left running in the first cycle area of the main program.
That way a problem is right there in your face rather than waiting for a
possible program call that might not be done for days or even weeks on the

more obscure exit points.

As supplied the exit point programs do nothing but return to the calling
program. The source we provide has comments about "put such and such HERE"

and they have all or most of the internal memory structures which are
passed
as parms. That way we don't have too many times where the data or flags or

whatever that the customers programmer might want, is not available. BUT
that is a two edged sword because it exposes stuff that if changed wrongly

it could mess up code that the customer does not get source code to.

We solved that by having the name of the exit programs be variables in a
system setting. That way we can put an "'as delivered" copy in place to
prove that "yes we hear that you didn't do anything which should mess up
our
stuff, but isn't it odd that it only fails when your copy is running."

We encourage the customer's copy of exit programs to be stored in our
software library and not a library in the customer's library list. That
way
it's a simple save and restore to have the proper stuff at an HA facility.

Some don't of course follow our recommendation and stuff has failed at HA
sites but luckily only during testing there.

Steve

So, does anyone have a good checklist of obscure little ditties like
this
they have to catch in a HA environment? Like, if I add an exit point
program on the source system, make sure I get it on the target system.
System values and so forth... Or do all HA vendors just catch this?

This discussion opened up my eyes to some stuff that I've missed in our
HA
environment.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073