From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Liotta
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 7:13 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: New redpaper: i5/OS Program Conversion: Getting readyfor
i5/OSV6R1

albartell wrote:

For me, there is very
little reason, that I have seen, to upgrade to V5R4 simply because I
am primarily developing RPG and the only reason I would have V5R4 is
to state I am writing compatible code for it.

Aaron:

Can you clarify whether you were asking specifically about upgrading? or was
the question more about keeping up with maintenance contracts so that
upgrading is available?

In many cases, there's little reason to "upgrade". If everything's working
fine, the main reason to upgrade might be nothing more than to stay just
above IBM's support cutoff point. In many other cases, it's worth upgrading
in order to take advantage of the cheapest performance enhancements
available. It's almost always cheaper to get better performance through an
entitled software upgrade than through a purchased hardware upgrade for
example.

In any case, actually doing an upgrade is not quite the same issue as
keeping the _right_ to do an upgrade.

Which one are you primarily interested in?

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.