I'm joining this discussion late, so someone may have discussed this.
There are IPDS 'servers' that act can act as a gateway for printers, and
can convert the IPDS to PCL. The server can host up to 3 printers, all
connected by TCP/IP. I haven't use this, only looked at literature.

Steve

Steven Morrison
Fidelity Express
903-885-1283 ext. 479

Tom Kreimer <tkreimer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
07/05/2007 10:44 AM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
IPDS printer option worthyness

We are changing to a single print vendor for all our locations and will
be
replacing most every printer (corporate has already made this decision,
don't need any recommendations for vendors!). Some of our printers are
IPDS printers now, but most use host print transform to regular old PCL
printers.

Is getting an IPDS option for printers still worth it? This option
usually
adds $500 or more to the cost of the printer.

With host print transform, the host system has to do extra work like
translate the data from EBCDIC to ASCII and translate the whole job to
PCL. On older systems, this could take some time, but I have not
noticed
any print delays for a couple of iSeries generations.
What about access to printer features? Output fidelity? Any other
considerations I am overlooking?

I should note that we are not a high-volume print shop. Some of our
printers might print 300 pages a day, but that is probably tops.