We recently switched to APC equipment to "standardize" all our UPS's. To
cable our AS/400, we had to buy a "Share-UPS" that convert's APC's "smart
signaling" to "simple signaling". However, the Share-UPS came with 8
simple ports, and you can chain multiple units together.

The Share UPS has a 15 foot extension cable between the UPS and the
Share-UPS, but APC does not support extending the cable from the ShareUPS
to the system unit. This will be no problem in our rack, or if your
equipment is right next to each other.Seems kinda short sighted to me,
pardon the pun, and I'm sure you can extend the cables as it really is
very simple make/break or hi/low signalling that is going on.

We are getting ready to move equipment around our data center, and our
UPS cables will not be long enough for where the equipment will be.
Currently we have 2 system i boxes, a model 520 (which has the #1827
cable) and a model 270 both plugged into the same UPS signal port (we
have a splitter).
We are just bringing in a new model 515, and will need it connected to
the ups as well.

Questions:
How do others cable for one UPS to many System i systems?
Does anyone have ports in the wall labeled "UPS signal" that you just
plug into?

Gerald Magnuson
Supervisor, Systemi Administration & Development
The Knapheide Manufacturing Company
Quincy, IL 62301