I take issue with the way you continually point at this or that in the

system and basically engage in name calling.

I'm not a marketing person. But yes, I could use better words to do this
- and yes, I sometimes exaggerate things that I don't like from time to
time. I'm not perfect either.

I would argue that my Windows 2003 server isn't doing that now
because I haven't configured it.

All backups have to be configured - I don't have a problem with setting
up BRMS and configuring control groups. The issue I have is that setting
up full system, fully automated backups on i5/OS is cumbersome, and
can't be done online unless you use SWA, which requires journals and
which is not supported by all application and gives additional
maintenance effort.

Windows Server 2003 ships with ntbackup - which is awful, especially
when dealing with tapes. You will need complicated scripts that have
several race conditions because labeling the tapes etc. isn't handled by
ntbackup. Using ntbackup for production backups is an absolute
nightmare. But even ntbackup supports Shadow Copies (and they are
enabled by default), that can backup all your files online, your
Exchange IS, and your SQL Database.

(e.G. http://ntbackup.no-ip.com/)

But with an additional cost feature (like BRMS is for i5/OS), you can
buy for example Symantec BackupExec. Symantec BackupExec can be setup by
a drooling monkey and does all of the stuff right - you can do a full
system save (while the system is online - you just need a few seconds of
a quiet period, this can be achieved by pausing services for a minute)
together with IDR (Intelligent Disaster Recover) media, which gives you
a similar experience to a D IPL from a Save 21.

This is all cool and dandy, until you want to restore your Windows
Backup to another Machine. Here is where i5/OS shines. Restoring Windows
to different hardware can be an absolute PITA. This is why most bigger
Windows environments just backup the data and do automatic
reinstallation of failed servers, and then restore the data from
redundancy etc. (it depends a lot on the size of the environment,
though). But tape backups are still the best way for small businesses.

While this is a huge benefit to many organizations (yours
too it seems) it is also one of our largest problems.

It's interesting, I made the exact same point in a discussion in the
midrange chat yesterday.

Thinking your suggestions fall on deaf ears is simply wrong.

I've had two major issues, one regarding the Windows Print Driver for
creating Color AFP Overlays, and another related to the Thin Console.

Dealing with IBM was excruating and unproductive.

http://projectdream.org/misc/pmr-overlays.txt

Yes, I've called them back on this one, since they told me Q1/2007 was
the time this might be implemented. I was promised a return call, but
never got one.

http://projectdream.org/misc/PMR-ThinConsole.htm

I was asked to submit a DCR - I did. Never received a response.

Since then I stopped submitting Non-Breaking Problems to IBM, because
they obviously do not care about fixing problems in their products.