From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lukas Beeler
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 1:12 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Backup strategy

We're using BRMS to handle our saves to a tape library.

Currently, we save the complete IFS, and *ALLUSR libraries every night (yes,
that means restricted state - so it's also V5R4 only).

Every Sunday, we do an automatic unattended save 21 equivalent using BRMS
(only possible on V5R4). After that the System IPLs.

Yes, this methodology brings a lot of downtime with it, and i would like to
do all my backups online - but's currently not possible with i5/OS.

SWA seems to be something done _really_ halfway, as it is a giant hassle to
restore and get to work. Gotta love Windows's Shadow Copy Backups.