What is the benefit of turning i5/OS into a PHP/MySQL box?

I was wondering the same thing as these announcements are coming out. The
benefit I see is that PHP can now run on a system (read i5OS and i5
hardware) that isn't prone to viruses, has excellent hardware
escalation/growth patterns, ease of general machine maint, etc. How many
CIO's would love to see their TCO go down by a fairly large order of
magnitude (i.e. I think IBM declared up to 3x less in TCO - per Elaine
Lennox's presentations I have been seeing)

On another, like Jon said, face time is always good. Popularity is what can
make or break a technology/platform these days. The System i5 wouldn't be
alive today if it wasn't so popular to the dedicated few (relatively
speaking of course).

I've seen enough PHP to be leery of it as a development language, but not
enough to make a definitive statement.

I think early on it wasn't enterprise ready, but Zend has been taking big
steps to make it a viable option to big shops (i.e. Yahoo). With that being
said I haven't done what I would consider enterprise level PHP in any
capacity. Here is a list of Zend customers and inherently PHP users (in
what capacity who knows): http://www.zend.com/company/customers

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com