<snip>
I'm on an 825 w/V5R3, and just ran a savlicpgm and selected all licpgm's and it took 3 hours to complete. I saved to a 3590E.
</snip>

There are a combination of items being saved and then formated into a product load as John has already described. BRMS seems to be at the heart of your question. BRMS has several components that are included in the *IBM save type, and an *ALLUSR type. That is to say that when an *ALLUSR save is done, the library QUSRBRM is saved because that is where all of the databases that allow BRMS to manage the save/restore environment are kept. Similarly the job schedulers (both advanced and basic), and other LPPs have components that are part of a *ALLUSR type save. There are also components of each in the IFS. (John pointed all this out as well) I suspect you saved a great deal more data than you thought you were going to since the goal of the SAVLICPGM is to be able to run the RSTLICPGM which includes all the above mentioned items.

The real question that I have to ask is, what is the recovery plan for this box? BRMS allows you to create a recovery/save plan that is tailored to your environment. In a save while active state, BRMS backed up nearly 8TB of data to and LTO-3 (i595 with 12 processors in that partition and a TS3310 library with Fibre attach) in about 5.5 hours. This included everything but QSYS. Yes the tape is faster, and it is an i595 but your 825 would be slower only due to the tape IOP/IOA/Drive speed. Instead of doing individual saves, set up the control group to
1) *SAVSECDTA
2) *SAVCFG
3) *IBM
4) *ALLUSR
5) *LINK
6) *ALLDLO

Set BRMS to do a save while active, pushing all the checkpoint messages to a common message queue, (I use BACKUP) and let it rip. I generally use a full save on Saturday or Sunday and incremental saves during the week. BRMS then will print a daily recovery report to show you how to recover on any given day. All of the user data is on tape at that point, recoverability is ensured, and its about 90% hands off. You may have to exclude the performance data libraries and the management central objects that are a bit of a pain from the save but those objects can be recovered separately and are recreated on a reload so they are not required for a recovery. If you run any flavor of Domino or WAS you will also have some log files to exclude but again they are not required for a recovery.

Bottom line, I wonder if you are working a bit too hard considering the BRMS will do most of this for you while you watch. HelpSystems ROBOT is capable of doing all of these things as well, but you mentioned QBRMS in the original note.