What option savlicpgm's then, other than savlicpgm, just option 21?

-----Original Message-----
From: qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 3:55 PM
Subject: Re: SAVLICPGM changing QBRMS?

fbocch2595@xxxxxxx wrote:

I ran option 22 from the save menu and the LPP's didn't save, so I'm
wondering
how the savsys completed successfully but LPP's didn't save.

That's pretty much what I was saying -- SAVSYS does not perform any
SAVLICPGM commands.

An LPP has a couple general categories of "things" that make up the
product -- it generally has at least one library with objects in
that library, as well as possible directories and/or folders with
things in those; and it has stuff that gets handled by i5/OS apart
from actual LPP objects. If you only save the library, then the
operating system parts aren't part of what gets saved.

SAVSYS can save any libraries that start with Q* that are LPP
libraries, but they might not be particularly useful for restore
purposes. (They might be useful; it can depend on exactly what kind
of restore needs to be done.)

SAVLICPGM does the stuff necessary to prepare to return an LPP to
the state it was in at the time of the save, i.e., setting up the
savefile for what RSTLICPGM does which includes 'registering' it
with i5/OS and running any exit-programs that might need to prepare
the environment, verify pre-requisites, or whatever is needed.

I'm not an expert at this, so that's about as close as I can get for
a general overview.

I suppose you could think in terms of Windows. If you go into the
/Program Files directory and copy the /Microsoft Office subdirectory
to another PC, I wouldn't expect many Office functions to work well
if at all. You can certainly save that subdirectory and restore
stuff from it, but it doesn't do anywhere near the same thing as
actually installing Microsoft Office.

In AIX, I think the 'install' command is somewhat similar to
RSTLICPGM. Note that 'install' isn't an available command within
PASE. AFAIK, that's part of the reason you can't just restore every
product that's available for AIX and run them. Some products must be
"installed".

And that pretty much exhausts my scope on those platforms for this
subject.

Hope that helps light some of it up.

Tom Liotta