my original question you have absolutely answered .. you have my respect and
thanks

Now at a bargain $280 there existed thru v4r5 the manual [under various LY-...]
in hard copy

at the reduced price -- {never in some decades did vol 2 ever be useful}

- - i am old -- and suggest that the v4 => v5 transtion included an IBM attempt
to eliminate any explanation of any 'internals'

in my defense I reference the 'FAST/400' ya-ya -- as motivating

IBM will not publish again the 'structure' of anything 'internal' to the i/5

bw

date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 22:03:46 -0400
from: "Mark S. Waterbury" <mark.s.waterbury@xxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Diagnostic Aids -- LY44-5900-04, LY44-5901-04 and
LY44-5907-04

Hello, all:

I searched the IBM Publications Center on-line, at:
http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/publications/servlet/pbi.wss?CTY=US

and I found:
AS/400 Lic Int Code Diagnostic Aids V4R5 SK3T-4090-01
<http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/publications/servlet/pbi.wss?SSN=07DCA0006942809550&FNC=PBL&PBL=SK3T-4090-01PBCEEBO200148644&TRL=TXTSRH>

This SKU costs $280 and includes these three manuals:
AS/400 Lic Int Code Diag Aids-Vol 1 V4R5 LY44-5900-03
<http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/publications/servlet/pbi.wss?SSN=07DCA0006942809550&FNC=PBL&PBL=LY44-5900-03&TRL=TXTSRH>
AS/400 Lic Int Code Diag Aids-Vol 2 V4R5 LY44-5901-03
<http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/publications/servlet/pbi.wss?SSN=07DCA0006942809550&FNC=PBL&PBL=LY44-5901-03&TRL=TXTSRH>
OS/400 Diagnostic Aids V4R5 LY44-5907-03
<http://www.elink.ibmlink.ibm.com/publications/servlet/pbi.wss?SSN=07DCA0006942809550&FNC=PBL&PBL=LY44-5907-03&TRL=TXTSRH>

More recent versions of those manuals, for Version 5, have a -05 suffix
(I could not find them on the PubOrder system).

-- I found them mentioned in SY44-5902-07 iSeries Service Functions
Version 5 Release 3 here:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/books/sy445902.pdf

I also found a Redbook that contains some good information:
SG24-8253 AS/400e System Tools for System Administrators

Can someone from IBM identify why the newer versions are not available
in the PubOrder system? Or why are they not available as Adobe Acrobat
.pdf files, like most other newer IBM manuals? (available as .pdf
instead of hardcopy).

Thanks,

Mark S. Waterbury