Windows, AD, etc. thinks it was shut down and later restarted. That's
all.

Ahh.... But then you don't have two AD servers. You don't have to have
multiple AD servers, but you should, especially if you have multiple
locations, and each location should have a global catalog too. An AD
restore is _not_ as simple as just popping back the disk image -- there
are multi-master update issues to contend with, and is this an
authoritative or non-authoritative restore. This is especially true when
you introduce systems that are heavily dependant on AD, like Exchange.

They don't require any day-to-day
admin that isn't covered by normal iSeries operations. They are
manually touched for issues like Windows Update, but since they're on a
private hardened subnet that's really optional/irregular.

Then why would that be different if they were on their own hardware? I'm
not arguing that Windows boxes need to be looked at on a daily basis --
in fact I think they can hum along on their own quite nicely, but you
seem to imply that when on the IXS there's less to do then when on a
stand alone box.

-Walden