Aaron Bartell wrote on 28/03/2007 17:26:01:

Joe has a really fast architecture that marries Java and RPG.  Really
cool
framework that takes the best of both languages.  My dislike of that
approach is that you need two knowledge sets to debug one application -
Java
AND RPG.  Office conversation: "Bill, our Java web based order entry is
crashing on screen 12, can you take a look at it?.... Sorry, Tom, I
can't
look at it until Junior comes back from lunch because I don't know Java.
 Oh
and when he comes back, I go to lunch and since Junior doesn't know RPG
you
will have to wait until 1:30pm for us to debug it together."

Aaron, I think you might be overlooking some of the value of knowing
multiple languages.  This is easy to do if you came in to the iSeries
world knowing multiple languages.  I think one of the dangers of being a
devoutly "one language only" shop is that you can miss out on some very
interesting concepts from other languages.  For example, if I had only
learned RPG, only read RPG articles, and got most of my training through
Common and friends, I would probably never know about associative arrays
(aka hash tables).  While some might argue that business programming often
doesn't need such constructs, I think that they are becoming increasingly
important as more and more shops get in to exchanging data with other
systems in novel (for the System i) ways such as XML.  So I guess the
short summary of that is - do we miss out on asking for new features from
IBM for if we're never exposed to ideas from other languages?

In the end I guess what I am trying to be is a voice of the next
generation
of programmers (I am 27yrs old);  that has gone the route of Java and
all
the open source candy and found that it doesn't measure up to what
businesses want and need (talking iSeries specifically).  Don't get me
wrong, I still love playing around with Java and all the cool things it
can
offer.  But when a company wants to write home grown applications on
their
iSeries for their staff or customers, I don't think they should have to
learn a new language to do that.  Not when IBM has the minds to develop
the
frameworks to do it completely from RPG all running natively on the
iSeries.

You're right - they _shouldn't_ have to new learn new languages.  It would
be great if IBM had kept RPG in step with the GUI revolution.  However,
IBM owns the language, and all we can do is say "this is what we want" -
but if they decide it is not in their interest to provide a given feature,
that's their prerogative.  All we can do is try to convince them that it
is in their interest after all.

Perhaps it is my academic bent showing through, but I also feel that is it
worth reiterating the "If your only tool is a hammer ..." argument. You've
mentioned that you think Java is really great for "plumbing" types of
jobs.  In my ideal world, all of the major programming languages would be
available natively on the System i, and we would be able to know enough
about each of them to write the low-level stuff in C, the text processing
in Perl (or REXX?), use Python for rapid prototyping, etc.  Of course, I
realize that this might be a bit of an 'ivory tower' position, but hey -
you can't blame a guy for dreaming :)

Just MHO,
Adam

Attention:

The information contained in this message and or attachments is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
and
delete the material from any system and destroy any copies. Thank you for your
time and consideration.

Attention:

Le contenu de ce message et(ou) les fichiers ci-joints s?adressent
exclusivement à la personne ou -entité à laquelle ils sont destinés. Ils
peuvent
contenir de l?information confidentielle, protégée et(ou) classifiée. Il est
strictement interdit à toute personne ou entité autre que le(la) destinataire
prévu(e) de ce message d?examiner, de réviser, de retransmettre ou de diffuser
cette information, de prendre une quelconque action en fonction ou sur la base
de celle-ci, ou d?en faire tout autre usage. Si vous avez reçu ce message par
erreur, veuillez communiquer avec l?expéditeur(trice), supprimer ce message et
les fichiers ci-inclus de tout système, et en détruire toutes copies, qu?elles
soient électroniques ou imprimées. Nous vous remercions de votre entière
collaboration.