Near the beginning, you said that your "customer service group"
requested the change. From that, it's not clear what the problem is.

The customer service group deals directly with our customers
entering/maintaining sales orders. They also work with the manufacturing
group to get and set realistic expected ship dates.

Are you responsible for approving changes? Is the support group
aware of the (possible) effort that might be involved in making the
change? Why are _they_ requesting the change?

They are requesting the change because the person who has made the error is
in this group.

It might be worthwhile to determine actual benefits of the change.
If there are numerous times when dates are entered in the wrong
fields and support people are regularly having to change their
entries, maybe the problem is bigger than it seems. Maybe the three
times that it has recently slipped past the
double-Enter/verification is only one part of it. Maybe the mistake
is made often, but simply caught; and there is a perception that too
much time is wasted even when it doesn't slip past.

It would be very difficult for the mistake slip past. The products we sell,
are stocked in large quantities, plus the prices are such that if a really
large quantity were ordered it would show up on the inventory report to be
ordered. Our largest item inventory quantity is less than 10,000.

By making the change, you might be saving more time than just the
later reversing entry. It might save time for all of them even
though only one of them currently fails to catch problems.

The time involved to fix is less than 10 seconds maybe 30 tops.