Last time I spoke to the folks about this issue the comment was "There is no specific REQUIRED HMC level for any given firmware. That does NOT mean they recomend that you stay way far back on HMC code. It is certainly more likely that current HMC code (i.e. 6.1) can handle any i5 FSP update than an old HMC level updating a current FSP. In dealing with HMCs and Firmware I make it a practice of keeping them as close as possible with the HMC leading the firmware.

- Larry

kirkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I can find a table that tells me what the current 'supported' i5 firmware and HMC code levels are. What I'm looking for is a What is the 'minimum' i5 firmware to support a specific release of HMC code. Has anyone actually seen this?

The HMC Code 6.1 upgrade instructions really only mentions the BIOS and MODEM issues. From the website, what I can find it appears I could take a 520 with whatever firmware, even firmware initially shipped on the first i5's shipped and upgrade it's HMC to 6.1. I really don't think that is correct, but I'll be darn if I can find it on the web.