Yep - pretty sure you need your LIC to be V5R3M5 and will need to slip it
to get it there.  You may find that you can do a much more straightforward
migration if you just go to V5R4 first.  Otherwise, IBM recommends
(although they changed their initial recommendation to US...) that a V5R3M0
machine going to a V5R3M5 Power+ be handled via the 'jump release' type of
migration from the Backup and Recovery guide.   It's not too bad, but there
are additional steps/implications that you'll need to get real familiar
with.

Originally they told us to treat it as a simple save and restore and just
use the V5R3M5 disc to do the intial LIC install - once we had done that,
there were problems further in the migration and the technician I worked
with told me that they now like to treat that particular migration (V5R3M0
800 to V5R3M0 520+ in our case) according to the B&R guide appendix that
deals with moving directly a prior release on the source machine to a new
release on the target machine.  I forget what appendix it was...

             rob@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             midrange-l-bounce                                          To
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            Midrange Systems Technical
                                       Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             01/12/2007 03:53                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: POWER5 to POWER5+ Upgrade
             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

1 - DSPPTF 5722999.  "Release of base option" must be either V5R3M5 or
V5R4M0.  Simply permanently applying the latest cumulative PTF package
won't do you squat if you are at V5R3M0.  You have to slip on a new
version of LIC.

2 - Trying to find a definitive answer as to what level of firmware you
need.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/eserver/v1r3s/topic/iphbg/model825to570hmc.htm#model825to570hmc

I'd do the following.
1 - Go to here
http://www-912.ibm.com/eserver/support/fixes/fixcentral
Select:
  System i family
  Hardware Management Console
and put on the latest and greatest.  6.1 has been out for awhile.
http://www-912.ibm.com/eserver/support/fixes/fixcentral
Select:
  System i family
  Server firmware
  Update policy set to HMC
and get upgraded to the latest firmware.
3 - Then, I'd bypass V5R3M5 and just upgrade straight to V5R4M0.  It will
have been GA a year come Valentine's Day.  That's long enough to let
others shake out the bugs.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Dean Boyle" <dean_boyle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
01/12/2007 03:21 PM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
POWER5 to POWER5+ Upgrade

Hi,
Has anyone been involved in an i5 upgrade from a POWER5 to a POWER5+ box.
In my case, the  upgrade only involves a new CEC (system unit)...all
existing expansions will attach to the target configuration. I'm running
V5R3 and I know that I have to permanently apply the latest cumulative PTF

package to bring the LIC and OS levels to the latest resave version.  I
will
also have to upgrade the old version of HMC (V4) to at least 5.2 but does
anyone know if I also have to upgrade the firmware before I upgrade the
CEC?
The FSP will obviously be replaced as part of the CEC swap and will come
with a new firmware version but I'm sure I've read somewhere that the
POWER5
source box still has to be upgraded to a recent firmware level BEFORE the
upgrade to POWER5+?  I'm not sure why because the firmware resides in the
FSP.  Anyone done this?
Any help appreciated.

list