1 - DSPPTF 5722999.  "Release of base option" must be either V5R3M5 or
V5R4M0.  Simply permanently applying the latest cumulative PTF package
won't do you squat if you are at V5R3M0.  You have to slip on a new
version of LIC.

2 - Trying to find a definitive answer as to what level of firmware you
need.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/eserver/v1r3s/topic/iphbg/model825to570hmc.htm#model825to570hmc

I'd do the following.
1 - Go to here
http://www-912.ibm.com/eserver/support/fixes/fixcentral
Select:
  System i family
  Hardware Management Console
and put on the latest and greatest.  6.1 has been out for awhile.
http://www-912.ibm.com/eserver/support/fixes/fixcentral
Select:
  System i family
  Server firmware
  Update policy set to HMC
and get upgraded to the latest firmware.
3 - Then, I'd bypass V5R3M5 and just upgrade straight to V5R4M0.  It will
have been GA a year come Valentine's Day.  That's long enough to let
others shake out the bugs.