From: Walden H. Leverich

I was going to let this thread go... Really I was. But since you make a
point of saying you're referring to SERVER windows, let's look again at
your example of how bad Windows is:

Hey, Walden, have you apologized to the iSeries team about your remarks
about the password "security issue"?  I didn't think so.  Just putting your
comments in perspective.

Of the 10 vulnerabilities on the SANS site:

The 1st applies to W2KSP4 and XPSP2. So unless you're running a 6-year
old OS version who cares. And IF you do care, since it's an RPC request
why would you be allowing those against your server anyway.

I know tons of shops still running these versions, Walden.

The 2nd refers to a string passed to the MessageBox function. So, unless
you're downloading stuff from the web, or reading email, ON YOUR SERVER
who cares!

And how do you get patches onto your server, Walden?  Do you think everyone
who runs a server actually downloads to a separate machine and then copies
the files to the server?  I know companies who do, of course, but that's
because they realize how porous Windows is.  But the fact is that WINDOWS
SERVER SHIPS WITH IE, AND SO PEOPLE USE IT.

The 3rd refers to a problem on the MAC! This has what to do w/windows?

C'mon, Walden, I pointed this out.  In fact, I pointed out that it's funny
that Microsoft "accidentally" released a patch that breaks Macs.

The 4th, 5th, 6th & 10th are Office issues. Why would you run office on
a SERVER?

It depends what you use your server for.  I can think of plenty of reasons
where you might use Word or Excel to do batch processing of documents.  But
In general, you're probably correct that these are less likely.

The 7th refers to an issue in a 6 year old OS. Still running W2K? OK,
still running V4R2?

I have a box still running W2K, Walden.  Hell, I have clients still running
W98.  One just got off of W95.  And yes, there are lots of boxes still
running V4R5 and below.  And because they're NOT running Windows, they don't
have these problems!

The 8th refers to a problem that would occur in a client app -- again,
why on a server?

The 9th refers to a problem in XP -- again, not a server issue.

I agree here, these are pretty low priority issues.

So.... Bottom line, NOT A SINGLE ONE of these issue is even an issue on
a current Windows server. Joe, try again.

That really depends on what you mean by current.  If you means within the
last year or so, you're probably correct.  But that means I need to upgrade
my server to a new version of the operating system every time Windows comes
out with a new one, which is a completely different subject.

How many Windows boxes will continue to run software that is running today
on Windows 2003 without a modification when they upgrade to Vista?  My guess
is damned few.  Whereas I know of very few changes that have been required
for people upgrading from as far back as I can remember on OS/400.

But that's a different subject for a different day.  Your point is that a IF
you have the latest operating system and IF you have all the latest patches
and IF you don't use any Microsoft applications like IE or OFFICE, then your
Windows server is pretty secure.

Okay, I guess I can buy that.  But even then it's not as secure as the
iSeries, especially if you fire up IIS.  Oh yeah, that's another one of
those Microsoft applications, probably don't want to use that either.

Happy New Year to you, too!

Joe