On 12/29/06, Richter,Steve <Steve.Richter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Vern,

IBM is getting its clock cleaned - where is the fight in the people who
run that company? Intel and AMD are releasing new chip models every quarter.
The PowerPC is still on a one and two year cycle. 2007 is going to be a true
test for IBM. Dell is undercutting IBM on server pricing just like it did on
desktop PCs. Intel and AMD are going the many core route while IBM is
commited to turning up the clock on the PowerPC 6 - we will see by the end
of 2007 which chip is faster.

This is just so typical of all your posts and their general lack of any
value or accuracy.  Everyone should save this snippet and bring it back out
anytime they feel the urge to take something you say seriously.

The POWER chip has been multi-core since the POWER4, long before AMD or
Intel even announced intentions in this area.  See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power5

In addition, from day one IBM has supported multiple CPU's each with
multiple cores.  Something that Intel and AMD are still somewhat struggling
to pull off.  Intel and AMD hold major press conferences to announce a new
chip every time they increase the clock speed, IBM does it when they unveil
a new design.  Perhaps IBM should focus more on marketing, but I think the
difference is that IBM is selling their chips to system builders, not
consumers as AMD and Intel are.

IBM is run by system designers, Intel by chip designers.  IBM produces a
complete system that works hand in hand with the chip, where as Intel is
still using the same memory bus design that came out with the Pentium.  It
can barely keep up with feeding today's dual core chips and will struggle to
be able to keep their future chips busy at all.  At least AMD is much better
in this area, with their use of Hyper Transport.  Here are some supporting
articles:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/07/24/30NNmontecito_1.html
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/09/27/40OPcurve_1.html

Unlike Intel and AMD, IBM has been able to go the multi-core route AND
increase clock speed.  Given that very few software problems benefit from
multiple cores, but all benefit from clock speed, this is a good thing.
Read this article about Photoshop and its problems with Intel multi-cores as
an example:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2006/12/photoshop_and_multicore.html